PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA dead in Canberra.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2003, 20:32
snarek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry GA dead in Canberra.

In 1998 the 'Minister' (a term used to describe the dim witted these days) promised us a cap on fees increases when airports were privatised.

In 1999 Capital Airports group took over Canberra Airport and more than doubled parking fees and pushed all the GA aircraft onto the grass (unless they wanted to pay quadrupled fees for hardstand).

At the time I rang the department (because a then member of the AOPA Board told me on the phone 'he has to get a return for his investment', this person is no longer on the Board, but tries to influence it), they told me they knew they had stuffed up, but couldn't fix it now.

Same charge applied, even if you parked in your own hangar.

(and I am told the owner at Merimbula thinks this sets a precedent and is trying the same stunt, so take care all you canberra bashers, it is infectious)

The new owners promised a new lease of life for GA.

Then there were six flying schools.

Now there are two.

Last weekend the airport owners declined to renew the lease on the Shell facility and the bowsers were closed. Mobil has already gone.

Now you cant get self serve fuel in the nations Capital and can't get it at all 'out of hours'.

Spoke to the Department again yesterday. Now it's 'before my time', 'not our problem, privatisation and all that' etc etc.

Well, it is the same bl@@dy Minister. So please, those of you in his electorate, thank him for me at the next election.

AK