PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe or unsafe is Nigeria?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 07:34
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On another note, what are the weather patterns? Do you encounter thunderstorms on a regular basis and if so, how prepared is ATC?
Empty Cruise has it right. Just to add that ATC are generally awful even when the weather is good, throw in some bad weather and the system can completely break down leaving everybody on his/her own. TCAS is an absolute must (in three years I personally have had 3 genuine RA's entirely caused by ATC) For traffic avoidance you have to be carefully listening to every other aircrafts transmissions in order to forsee possible problems.

By the way when I say ATC has completely broken down I really mean it. Several times in my experience Lagos control on 127.3 has completely given up and won't transmit to anybody - so we are all left wandering around for 5 mins. I must say that there are some good controllers of course. You very quickly get to know the sound of their voices and have an inkling if this is yet again going to be one of those days.

Use of non standard RT phraseolgy is rife amongst controllers and Pilots. Pilots regularly lie about their position and speed in order to gain an advantage somewhere. Typical non standard clearances like 'Biz Jet 001 line up after the landing 737' are normal.

Trying to get any met info whilst airborne is next to impossible (there is no volmet service anywhere) and asking a station for another stations weather produces a few giggles at best

Read up on the 'Harmatton' plus the movement of the 'ITCZ'. Agree again with Empty Cruise but to add that last year the dust (due to Harmatton winds) went quite a bit further south than Abuja. This dust can be very limiting in regard to selection of destination alternates given that many of the alternates available may have non-precision aids at best (Nigerian regs also require the one step up rule for minima: i.e if lowest minima available at the alternate is non precision then non precision RVR plus a 1000m and ceiling plus 200ft is required) This can make planning extremely difficult if you are in any way fuel limited after a long sector.

Navigation aids are very poorly maintained and a lot of airfields will not notam anything at all. So you are planning on a VOR/DME approach and find the DME not working (and hasn't been for months probably). If you do land you will find potholes all over the place etc.

After heavy rain be very wary indeed of braking effectiveness on any runway in Nigeria. Do not ever be tempted to accept a touchdown that is 'long' under these circumstances (although you never should anyway).

All airfields provide a marshalling service - do not rely on these people for anything else other than keeping you within the airfield boundaries.

Kano incidentally now has an ILS on rwy 06.

Enjoy the Gulder - best served very cold.

Regards
Exeng