PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 05:09
Pilotofutur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An option for flight engineer?

Hi folks,
I have finally read all pages of this thread and I learned a lot here about the CX Cadet Pilot Programme.
I understand that it is a good option for young guys with zero or just 250hs if they work as SO until finally upgrade to FO, then build 1000hs and get another job in an airline where he/she could become a captain in even 5 years.
For the guys in their mid-late 30s (or even early 40s, if they hired) would be a bit complicated because you could never become a captain before retire. If try to get out as soon you reach 1000hs as FO, well, your age would be next to 50.
But suppose a guy that love aviation, love to fly, love airplanes, crazy schedules, flight attendands, layovers, etc, etc....and this guy is pilot just for hobby but his career dream 20 years ago was to become a Flight Engineer (or something like that). In this case, the CX would be great for him especially considering he is single and has other source of income (real estate properties for rent). Am I right about it?
This guy is my cousin. We will finish CP and Av. degree in december. I am on my early 40s and want to apply for the programme. If hired, spend some years as SO, build 1000hs as FO and jump to corporate aviation in my country. But that guy (late 30s) want to fly just for small freight companies or air taxi because the Flight Engineer job has gone.
I wanna encourage him to consider SO at CX as alternative to his dream. I know he would be happy even if stays in this position until retirement. LOL.
Any advices welcome. If I am wrong about it, please correct me.
Sorry about the structural sentences as english is my second language.
Thank you.

Last edited by Pilotofutur; 4th Aug 2012 at 05:10.