PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 03:14
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
Clandestino is a former FBW Airbus line pilot, now flying ATR turboprops. Some clarification should be made in that what he is describing is Direct Law, where the computers pass the sidestick inputs direct to the flight surfaces.

The FBW Airbus models will not fly if the electrics are lost altogether - but this is also true of any other modern airliner you care to name.
So you agree with me. Without a computer, you can't fly an airbus. Again, try and stay on topic. My post didn't say that you can't fly an airbus without electricity, it said that you can't fly an airbus without computers.

I've just checked my A320 FCOM (27.40.5) and it indicates that an ELAC (that's a flight control computer just in case the peanut gallery isn't aware) provides "direct pitch and roll" along with other functions such as normal pitch and roll. If my books are wrong, please give me a link to a better, more in depth, manual. Then tell my Director of Training about it as well, as he seems to think his manuals are airbus compliant.

Edited to add: I'm still waiting for the instructions on how to put an Airbus in direct law. I'd like to try and fly it that way if I ever get assigned to a mx flight.

Last edited by TTex600; 4th Aug 2012 at 03:16.