PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working for Free!
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 02:22
Typhoon650

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed here, namely HTFU.
I swept the floor daily, emptied the bins and did all the **** kicking work. And why should I have been let loose on expensive equipment and materials when I had no clue?
Now I really appreciate a clean workshop and will sweep and even hose my workplace out regularly, because I have learnt that it makes for a more enjoyable, efficient workplace. And I actually enjoy cleaning up now, it's very theraputic!
As a tradesman earlier in life and a workshop manager later on, I forget when the last time a young person came in and actually came even close to completing an apprenticeship in the last 20 years.
They all think it's beneath them and think that at 19-21, they should be on $50k a year.
They'll only work hard the first week or two to try to impress everyone, then it's into the routine of sneaking off to make phone calls, pretending to be working whilst texting, using company computers when not authorised to peruse Seek, one sick day a week, coming in late etc. When you try and discuss their laziness and disregard for anyone else, they get aggressive and report you to management etc.
They also seem to lack an attention span greater than a hour or any real problem solving skills.
I've learnt a lot more about the equipment I operate by servicing, cleaning and generally looking after it, than any text book can ever teach me.
Getting any sort of qualification guarantees you nothing, put your head down and do some work. You'll feel better about yourself and learn a hell of a lot.