PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad experience and choices
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2012, 21:38
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My current setup:

- 64 GB iPad 2 3G (the GBs don't matter all that much, but only the 3G version includes the GPS. Without internal GPS, you will definitely need an external GPS, connected via BlueTooth. Although, to be honest, some people (not me) have reported reception problems with the internal GPS of the 3G, and end up using an external GPS anyway. This seems to be mostly airframe dependent.)
- SkyDemon (I have used Air Nav Pro in the past but find SkyDemon a far more superior product. I'm also hearing good things about PocketFMS but have not tried that on the iPad.)
- AeroWeather
- WeatherProHD
- Kensington Blackbelt - a thick rubber band that wraps around the edges. This allows me to keep the iPad in my lap or on the seat next to me. I have not investigated the option of mounting the iPad somewhere in the cockpit, and in the particular airplane that I fly most, I don't see that as a viable option anyway. Together with a generic screen protecting film (mine is from Xenos, but honestly any brand will do), a lot would have to happen before the iPad would be damaged.

(Edited: The other bits of electronics in my flight bag are the GoPro Hero 2 Motorsports edition (with the extra battery pack), the iPad camera connection kit and iMovie. Very easy to take video, crop it in iMovie to a reasonable length, add some comments and titles, and post it on Facebook. Or make slightly longer films for passengers. Or whatever.)

Last edited by BackPacker; 3rd Aug 2012 at 21:46.