PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Phantom stories out there?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2012, 18:45
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
The SUU always looked like one hell of a bling-bling accessory.
Certainly was! After the 1982 South Atlantic War, strafe was reinvented for non-mud moving AD folk. What fun that was - visiting places like Cowden and Donna Nook and loosing off at the mud. Much easier than killing Canberra-towed canvas.

After my pre-VC10K F-4 time, I was lucky enough to be sent over to San Diego to trail HM's F-4Js back to the UK during my VC10K course. OP. TIGER TRAIL was the name of the operation and it was brilliant fun. Brize to Wright-Patt, nightstop, then Wright-Patt to Miramar. Rent a car, then Sea World on Friday, Laguna Beach, Universal Studios and Hollywood on Saturday, brunch and Pacific Beach on Sunday, then off to W-P on Monday. Blew an engine...ching! North Island to W-P in the back of the route support Albert on Tuesday, another day off on Wednesday, a weather cancellation on Thursday, then Dayton to Goose trailing the F-4Js from W-P on Friday - which was also my IRT. Then home on Saturday with very nasty severe turbulence on the climb out, which lost most of the radios and nav boxes until the groundcrew were able to re-rack it...

****ing SDO on Sunday though...

10 days away in nice Ascot-friendly hotels for most of the time, plus an excellent night at Goose. Just one of those typical trips back then....

And now you envious wanquerres who posted earlier can get back to your silly inuendos....