PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2012, 17:12
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machinebird, Organfreak, Roulishollandais,

Good comments, and let me make clear. I don't specifically condemn the "protections", I question the entire system.

>Flat panel displays that require interpretation vs recognition. (I can recognize a specific speed, say 250kts on a round dial by noticing where the needle points - no thought necessary - while a tape requires more attention.)

>An attention DEMANDING ECAM system. And the training philosophy that accompanies it.

>Controls with no feedback.

>An airframe that does not trim for speed, but for flight path.

>An institutional reliance, almost religious reliance on FD's - in training and operations........and FD's that are allowed to provide misleading data.

>Warning systems (in combination with ECAM) that adds to sensory overload vs providing help for focus when in sensory overload.

>A manufacturers training program that assumes competence and yet demands compliance.

Combine all that with an AirFrance trained, Airbus only experienced flight crew and you just might get AF447.

BTW, for any new readers. I'm not necessarily anti AB, I prefer steam gauges over tapes no matter what the airplane. I don't like Boeings with tapes either. But at least the little Boeings don't add to the confusion.

Last edited by TTex600; 3rd Aug 2012 at 17:13.