PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2012, 16:18
Danny42C

Loaded Dominies.

Chugalug,

Gus's deed of heroism took place in December '42, when I was out of the country, but I always believed he got a George Medal for it. Checking on Wiki, I find that it was not so, although he certainly deserved it, and it was awarded to other RAF personnel for very similar actions during the war. I don't know how many (if any) of the crew survived, but I believe a HE bomb
blew up, so it would be unlikely.

Dominie story: I was the ATC in the tower at Shawbury one summer Sunday afternoon (it was then still a Master Airfield, the School instructors also worked the Tower). Must have been '64/'67. A Dominie in the area called "Pan". It had been bringing back the RAF parachute display team (Red Devils?) from a show.

They'd lost an engine, the thing couldn't maintain height on one, the pilot invited his passengers to do the decent thing and lighten ship. They were quite happy to oblige; seven (or nine?) floated down over Shropshire; the Dominie landed safely at Shawbury. A harassed S.D.O. spent the rest of the evening laying on transport to try to round up the castaways from the various taverns in which they had taken refuge.

Danny.