PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2003, 17:53
atb1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerohack

We are getting MMMmmmiles off track here, but yes, the Cygnet was at one time registered to a Jones - Mrs J.I. Jones, whether the Godalming Jones or not I don't know.

Aaah. the 'Bushe! Used to tricycle up there (not bad, up Cats' Farm Hill on one of those...but I think I pushed) due to Grandpa having had a horse in a field just at the bottom. I can remember the feel of the shiny sloping floor of a Halifax that sat on the south side down towards Eagle's, or a Catalina called Zambesi, Israeli Mosquitos, Lebanese Harvards, Transjordan Vikings....

....cadging a lift in a Globemaster that was about to taxy from the 'terminal' to the Navy base down in the dip. Or announcing the arrival over the Tannoy of Dragon Rapide so-and-so from whatsit and forgetting to release the mike button, whereupon the arrivals hall echoed to 'I did it!' All courtesy of Arthur Pearcy's wife, who was ATC/AIS and general factotum. I was on my way to see her one day when I bowled into Douglas Bader stomping around the corner of the building. Whoops!

That Cessna 175 eventually became Donald Campbell's G-ARDC.

'PUF arrived together with 'PVC, long awaited, via the Azores.

Crookham housed Sabres and a lone Sea Fury. They were dumped at Redlands, a former tobacco farm and now I believe a girls' school, St. Nicks, though that must be at the house, whereas the aircraft were across the road. I think Danny Bernstein was the 'collector', for want of a better word. Staravia. Sea Hawks could be found at Lasham.....

Thanks for memory jog....