PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe or unsafe is Nigeria?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2012, 13:15
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based in Lagos at the mo with an airline

We stay in hotels or a compound built for the Pilots.

I have never encountered any real trouble (i.e violence). However I generally never go out alone after dark. Certain areas are best avoided altogether, day or night.

Travelling to and from the airport even at night has up to now appeared safe although for a time we did have armed guards in the vehicle. Frankly I was more concerned about an accident involving the armed guards.

I find the people generally pleasant although my general feeling is that those in the south of the country have a more aggressive attitude than those in the north.

I'm afraid to say that the telling of 'porky pies' is somewhat of a built in culture in Nigeria. Generally those lies are not particularly malicious but make doing anything interactive with the folk very tiresome.

Lock any valuables with you personally and do not use a hotel safe. Mysteriously things seem to vanish, particularly cash if you are careless. (over $1000 in my case 6 weeks ago).

A good rotation is vital to allow you time to recover from a somewhat unusual flying and living environment.

Although Nigeria does take some extensive personal adjustment it can be a rewarding place to fly but you need to be on top of your game as it is a very challenging flying environment for many reasons.

I now have a number of good Nigerian friends which must tell you something.

Also I am not looking at all for work elsewhere as no place seems to be able to match the time off/rotation that we enjoy.

Check very carefully the contract regarding payment times and amounts before you sign on the dotted line. In any event make sure you have enough saved at home to survive for three months without income. Paying late for anything seems to be a national sport that everybody competes in (regardless of what it states in the contract) - if it was a part of the Olympics Nigeria would get a gold for certain.

Finally may I recommend the locally brewed Gulder beer as opposed to bottles of Star.

Regards
Exeng