PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe or unsafe is Nigeria?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2012, 11:29
BizJetJockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How safe or unsafe is Nigeria?

Hi everyone,

I am looking into a rotational position in Nigeria and would like some advice.

Does anyone have any idea about operating based out of Lagos and general flying in West Africa with regard to safety and security?

I have experience in countries such as Mali and Mauritania but only for a couple of days at a time and never really left the hotel.

I have heard bad things about Nigeria but would like to get a full all round picture from guys who are based there at the moment.

- What is the general level of safety when being driven from the airport to the hotel? I have heard that the drive at night time is particularly dangerous. A tad difficult when called to fly in the middle of the night or arriving back late. Is security advised when being transported?

- Are there decent hotels and compounds for guys working in Lagos? Are you advised to stay in the hotel or compound and are they secure?

- What stories are true and what aren't regarding muggings, murders etc?

Of course many cities are dangerous if you aren't very clever and go out late at night and generally lack awareness of the local area. I am keen to know that with safety in mind and security, are the odds still in favour of a car jacking with a gun pointed at you or the likelihood of being kidnapped? Especially with the threat of Islamist militants in the country.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and would help a lot!

Thanks!!