PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inappropriate rotation technique
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2012, 10:49
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the simulator it is quite common to see pilots rotating harshly so that within 1.5 seconds they are beyond ten degrees, then slow the rate of rotation so as to be around 15-17 degrees by the time five seconds has passed since the first rotation movement. It is hard to convince them since they invariably claim they reach 15 degrees by 5 seconds as per recommended procedure.

It was the extremely rapid rate of rotation when using Flap one for take off on the 737-200, that caused marked wingdrop and pitch up associated aymmetric wing icing. The report into the Potomac River 737 accident discussed this.

Way back in 1989 a crusty old and not too bloody competent ex Royal Navy chief pilot of long since defunct UK 737-200 operator criticised my rotation rate as being too slow. For the next several flights I timed his own rotation to 15 degrees. In practically every case he reached 15 degrees with a savage jerk of two seconds and he would not believe the figures when I showed him. He didn't change his technique even after the evidence was presented to him. There were quite a few of his type around in those days. His first officers were terrified of him.

Last edited by sheppey; 3rd Aug 2012 at 10:55.