PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was it really fright(e)ning?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2012, 08:43
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
No, BOAC, it was the scenario - I couldn't work out the distance / time / speed / fuel which would have achieved it, nothwithstanding the impressive QTR.

360 - yes indeed! Many a fun time with them both in my brief F-4 time and on the VC10K. I recall one Coffee Charlie when Neatishead were being as dull as usual. Then along came a couple of Cranberries playing music. During one break in their game, a voice was heard to say "Please give us back the music, it stops us having to listen to that dull git!".

But anyone who'd flown a Hunter could easily recognise the background noise of an Avon's generator / inverter on the electrical system, so spoofing to the trained ear wasn't that effective - neither was straight noise jamming. But reading out the Readers' Letters from Mayfair certainly was.... As was a laughing box.

Personally, if I'd ever had the chance, I would have simply replayed some RT which had been recorded on an earlier sortie.....

Best authentication refusal I ever heard about was one day when 'Thrombo' was flying with a certain fightergator who often posts on here. Checking in with Neat, our hero in the back seat duly does the usual intro. "Papa Fox 4/5 Delta in the Golf Hotels, we're Bravo 4 4 zero, Tigerfast plus 10" or words to that effect.

"Shouldn't you authenticate her?" queried Thrombo.
"Authenticate her? Don't need to, mate - I've sh*gged her!" came the response from the back seat.

Anyway, back to more WIWOL yarns, please. By the way, where is 'Porky' these days?

Last edited by BEagle; 3rd Aug 2012 at 08:50.