PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about LARS in the UK
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 23:58
soaringhigh650

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about LARS in the UK

So I read:

Lower Airspace Radar Services (LARS) was originally established in the 1970s to improve the efficiency of air traffic control services provided to aircraft in the vicinity of airfields not protected by controlled airspace. Its primary objective is to aid the flow of air traffic arriving at, and departing from, these airfields by encouraging aircraft transiting the area to receive an air traffic service (ATS).
An example of a notified LARS unit is Southend.

I also read:

Aerodromes with IAPs outside controlled airspace: Pilots who intend to fly to or route adjacent to aerodromes with IAPs are strongly recommended when flying within 10nm of the aerodrome to contact the aerodrome ATSU.
Examples of this would be Cambridge and Oxford and Coventry.

I also read:

Military Aerodrome Traffic Zone: The purpose of a MATZ is to provide a volume of airspace within which increased protection may be given to aircraft in the critical stages of circuit, approach and climb-out. Although the recognition of a MATZ by civil pilots is not mandatory, they are encouraged to do so.
Examples of this would be Benson and Wattisham.

Does this mean ALL radar equipped aerodromes with IAPs outside controlled airspace, including ALL those contained inside a MATZ, should be notified to provide LARS?

If not, why not?

Last edited by soaringhigh650; 3rd Aug 2012 at 00:25.