PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic Union Flag raising - RAF out of step
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 10:32
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Shack

No, modesty probably isn't one of my biggest treats. But possibly just like fighter pilots there may be some jobs where modest folks tend to come off second best.

I have read your posts for a long while and you seem to have had your fair share of banter, hardships and fun during your service career too. What probably made me really bite are posters who spring forwards with excuses etc when a simple admission of messing up would have been more honest. I have made and make plenty of mistakes, but am the first to not only own up to them but share them with others for the sake of humour (at my expense).

I think that the line 'its hardly front line' was the worst IMHO. I meet up with lots of WW2 veterans as part of one of my jobs, and find the bravery and hardship some of these men faced truly humbling. I love their humour and the magical sparkle in their eyes when they get together to talk over past exploits (the sparkle that temporarily transforms an elderly gent into an 18 year old again, something I find a delight to see). Now some of these fine pensioners have not been in service for 65 years, but they can stay in time when marching on legion parades!......Of course maybe the fact that they fought a long hard and bitter world changing world war makes them a bit more front line than the RAF chap at the Olympics. Who knows.

I will add that the chap involved here is a great bloke (I have been told) and may have bitten the bullet (I know one of his work makes couldn't wait to see him to start the banterathon), but my gripe was the stream of excuses. Sorry if that annoyed you.

Last edited by barnstormer1968; 2nd Aug 2012 at 10:33.