PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Borneo Whirlwind veterans here?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 03:45
lauriebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:

I walked away from one in Sabah, which I have been told was repaired because it was an SS11 modded beast and for the outlay, too valuable to scrap. I am in SIN at the moment and do not have my Logbook with me...why would I have it here ?!?!? I think it was XP328 and when I walked away from it in 1968, it had no boom, only blade stubs, both front legs broken and it looked a bit 'bad and suckled', so to speak. I considered it to be "scrap"..... and for the life of me could see no reason to cart it off the side of the hill.

Laurie B on the K-y P------g thread informed me that it was hooked out, repaired and ended it's days at Sluggersgoh.

Dave B, from our correspondence on the Key board (I have the same username here), I can confirm that the serial was as TM gave above (post 113), XP358.

After its 103/110 days, that frame was allocated to 28 Sqn in HK very early 70s and then back to RAE before the BDR days at Gut.

I also have a photo of XP328/R taken when it was flying just off the beach near Butterworth around Jun/Jul 66. If it is of interest, I can post here.

Last edited by lauriebe; 2nd Aug 2012 at 03:55.