PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC Radio Intervew Richard de Crespigny
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 01:46
Helmut Smokar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have lost me here. According to the report the systems assessed to be available after 50mins were; Gear Down, 3 engines, rev #3, flap 3, max braking, anti skid and 4000m of dry runway, with good overrun. (Thank goodness they weren't in SYD or MEL.) Not a bad position to be in, so why would there be a an overrun, etc if you landed sooner rather waiting another 50 mins? I think the likelihood of the fuel leak igniting following the engine explosion is the greater threat. (as per the Concorde crash)
As I asked earlier, what if the computer said you required greater than 4000m, what then?
As Noip said, you don't have the facts. That's my point entirely. If an imidiate return was executed because of a greater threat the crew would not have had the facts either. I'm only guessing the possible outcome because I don't actually know.
Imagine you comence the approach knowing what you have written above, only to find out "flaps 1" **** the slats are locked, during the approach "2500" you have one one LGIS indicating the gear not locked down the other indicating it is, this after discovering the only way to drop the gear is via gravity extension. Suprise! But because you are commited to the approach you continue "1000" amongst the sea of ECAM messages you haven't executed is a couple of gems.
You start flying a speed just above VLS 168kts, that will work. "500" "Stable" the ground is rushing up you have all four thrust levers staggered to maintain symmetrical thrust "SPEED SPEED SPEED" you think **** why is it doing that, you bump up the thrust 175kts. "100" your hunting the aim point "STALL STALL STALL" you give it some thrust and "50" start to flare "40" "30" "10" your on! Not bad, touchdown 1500 Ft in at 171Kts. The nose bucks up, WTF is it doing that for? "Ground Spoilers" "REV GREEN" "No DECEL" No problem you get the nose down and push the brake pedals in, it just isn't slowing down you push the to the floor. Mid field rushes by, It starts to pull up, its hunkers down as the brakes start to really bite in. The far end threshold markers come in to view, just maybe we aren't going to stop? "70 KTS" you still have REV in and your feet to the floors, is it Loss of Braking? No we are slowing down, we just don't have enough runway. Suprise! .............

Post event you hear about the other failures you didn't know about, buried in a mass of ECAM messages you didn't have time to run. Half spoilers, no wing anti skid and so on........... I think if a fire actually existed the result may have been entirely different. But it didn't.

Nice approach RDC no one can ever take that away from you.

As for your last question I guess you would try touching down on the keys!?? Maybe thats the reason you do visual approaches with no approach slope guidance in the cyclic matrix??

Anyhow keep rabbiting on, when you have had a bat get back to me