PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 1st Aug 2012, 18:52
tcw3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laser eye surgery vs rules in Asian countries

Is there someone out there who has actually interviewed/worked for any >Japanese< and other Asian carriers that can assist me with a vision improvement type laser eye surgery question? Please know I have already read all that I can locate on this website. (I have read a few posts that leaned towards saying that this procedure is not permitted in Japan) I then took the extra step of writing two of the broker agencies that have been around for a long time. An established person at Wasinc said this procedure is prohibited by the Japanese Gov’t. But to confuse the issue further a senior Asia person at Rishworth wrote me that an applicant can succeed when applying to a Japanese carrier but reminded me of the necessary steps, ie that one must disclose this on the front end, bring one’s existing home country aviation Medical Certificate and bring the before and after eye measurements from the Dr who performed the surgery. So, from the employment offices that should know, I have received two answers that contradict one another.
In a nutshell,
1 can a pilot successfully obtain a Japanese Gov’t airline pilot’s Level medical if they are healthy in all areas but have previously had successful Laser eye surgery (to improve their vision)? I know radial keratonamy won’t pass, but if they do permit it does the Japanese Gov’t distinguish with a thumbs up/down between PRK and Lasik?
2 If the Japanese Gov’t permits it, does it end up being a de facto item of not getting hired cause no actual Airline in Japan will offer employment to a pilot who has had this?
3 And while we are on this topic, might you happen to know if Laser eye surgery for vision improvement is permitted in
Korea
Singapore
Malaysia
China
Indonesia

Do any of these countries distinguish between PRK and Lasik?

I appreciate whatever info you can pass along. I don’t mind filling out all the various applications but I would like to avoid spending the time barking up the wrong tree if this is a No Go item in certain countries. I imagine your answer will help out a good number of pilots out on this website. Thanks.