PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reckless Pilots
Thread: Reckless Pilots
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2003, 11:14
BAKELA
Registered User *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt very much whether the SA CAA will act on any complaints about reckless and unsafe flying. I have several times (over the last 10 years) reported reckless flying to the old DCA (still with NDoT) and the SA CAA and have not had one bit of joy from them.

Going to the SAPS and trying to get a case going also does not help as they have insufficient knowledge to decide on whether to prosecute or not. I even tried this in desperation.

One particular incident of some years back comes to mind. A certain pilot thought it prudent to do 200' AGL beat ups over a built up area with nothing less than a HS125! With a couple of pax in the back!!! I reported this but nothing happened. I even provided the name of one of the pax (who I happened to stumble into a couple of days after the incident) and who thought the beat ups were great fun.

This same pilot got killed (with a pax) in a helicopter accident not more than 18 months after the incident described above. The indications at the time was that all was not 'well' with this particular helicopter flight either.

I have seen too many times that the bold don't get old. Proper action at the prudent time might have saved many lives - lets try and keep 2003 safe. I agree, report reckless flying - it is for the good of the poor stupid souls endulging in such dangerous activities.