PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA allows medication for mood disorder
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2012, 09:55
zero1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might be the case for Class 1 but as most of the aircraft are twin crew this should not be a major problem. As for GA crew (class 2) I am not sure if there is a limitation for twin crew as it was not in the original protocol.
Some people have asked about the approved SSRI drugs, the protocol will likely state the following as acceptable but you will need to wait until Sept for confirmation:
Fluoxetine (Prozac) - This might be included in the protocol based on the FAA recommendation
Escitalopram (Lexapro) - Already approved by US, Australia, New Zealand and Canada
Sertraline (Zoloft) - Already approved by US, Australia, New Zealand and Canada
Citalopram (Celexa) - Already approved by US, Australia, New Zealand and Canada

You will note that the drugs are perhaps the 1st generation SSRIs, the decision to approve these is based on the report from the Australia study. As you might be aware there are a lot of more modern 2nd generation drugs available based on SNRI or SSNRI formula but these were not included in the study and therefore not included in the approval list.
Assuming the proposal is approved for September it is a positive move forward despite the limitation the protocol might impose. I must stress this is just a guess, based on what I have seen and despite the proposed limited approved drugs the individual’s condition would need to be assessed on a one to one bases.