PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow 09L closures
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2003, 10:41
Yellow Snow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Book Of Excuses

On Saturday and Yesterday afternoon the forecast was for icey/snow conditions so the airfield authority had to de-ice/pre-ice the runways and turn-offs. This involves closing one runway at a time and the airfield ops boys and girls getting the work done while we go single runway ops on the other runway. Packing and gapping to help out approach and the inbounds.
When the 321? aborted 09L the runway was inspected and it was just very fortunate that 09R de-icing work was nearing completion otherwise we would've been closed. The delays from the single ops continued to domino throughout the afternoon and were compounded by a false fire-alarm in the tower in the evening that stopped all deps and start-ups for about 15 minutes as per our SOP.

No big conspiricy here just the most effecient safe and expeditious flow of aircraft that we can given the constraints that were put on us.

As for Crackers from their book of excuses I can only assume you mean your company flight ops; because if you ask me or most of my fellow ATCOs on the RT you'll only get the
truth, workload permitting and as long as it doesn't involve anything to do with staff shortages