PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2012, 06:51
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Words almost fail me...

I am on page 49 of this amazing thread about an incredible aircraft. I have spent many "unproductive" hours at my desk – when I should be defending the free world – reading here.

I must say, this is an incredibly brilliant (in the US sense of "intellect" rather than the British "cool/great") people. The history; the technology; and, most importantly, the people here make this a thread beyond compare – more alive than any book on the topic could hope to be.

Sometime, roughly ~1987?, I was driving from Norfolk, Virginia, to Washington, DC. As I drove by the Wilmington, Delaware, airport I saw an unusual looking tail rising above a building. I thought, "That looks like Concorde, but she wouldn't be here. Several seconds later the building no longer blocked my view, and it was indeed Concorde!

I had previously seen the a/c on display at the Musee de l'air in Paris and have since seen the one in Sinsheim, Germany. Wilmington, though, was the only time I actually saw one in service.

Long into, now to my question:

A few pages back I read about "left rudder" on takeoff because "engine number four was at 88% thrust." I understand the need for rudder based on asymmetric thrust, but why was the thrust asymmetric in the first place?

I need to push on through the next 40 pages to get the answer to my question!