PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Warden - ideal destination
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2003, 08:11
Philip Whiteman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I read Velclip correctly, Old Warden's landing fees have increased dramatically. In the past I have been a frequent visitor (and I love the place). My SVAS membership used to give me free landings and, at displays, I had become used to paying just the road arrival entry fees.

So now its at least £7.50 per flying visit, and on display days £24 or £30 (my 1944 U.S. Army Cub carries two). To put this in perspective, the only way I can carry on flying is by operating an aeroplane as minimal as the Cub. Last time I calculated it, my flying was costing me £20 to £30 per hour. Laugh if you will, but landing at Old Warden could cost me twice as much as the flight there from my strip at Aylesbury.

Silverstone used to charge £23 for fixed-wing aircraft. After letters from the vintage aircraft owners who graced their old car events in smaller and smaller numbers as time went on, they relented and made landings free - with a good effect on turnout.

I hope The Shuttleworth Collection is not cutting its own, very elegant throat. I am sorry chaps, but I think I will be taking the customary beans, chips and pasty lunch at Popham from now on.