PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2012, 10:00
Robert G Mugabe

We live in a different world today where those coming into the industry aren't so fortunate. If those that are in the senior positions like you cared for the future of the profession you would fight to help maintain the T&C's and the future of the profession that has clearly paid you so well.
I have to admit you have hit the nail on the head reference it being a different world. It is as a result of a combination of:

1. Cadets or Flexicrew accepting they are worth much less by accepting these deals. Foolish as they are.

2. An Ineffectual pilots union within the UK ( BALPA ).

3. A perception by the public and the accountants that we are overpaid system monitors.

Now the BALPA topic has been covered ad infinitum on other threads but my take on this is our crew council has and is being advised by BALPA HQ to " keep their powder dry and save it for a real rainy day ( how bad that will be ask BALPA ) ".

In addition we were told our Union Crew Council could not represent the interests of the cadets and contractors as they were not employed by easyJet . I agree this is morally corrupt but as you say we live in a different world today.

When members of the Union Crew Council then resign and join management you realise that these senior individuals ( who are privy to more information than most ) realise the game is up and the union is a toothless tiger.

An individual cannot be expected to raise his or her head above the parapet when the body that represents him or her is loath to deploy the big guns and sanction effectual action. Remember BALPA is involved in most companies who employ contractors and cadets so these poor ( in all ways ) people will be coming to a crewroom near you soon.That is if you are not working with them already

If airline management, BALPA, the general public , the CAA and the DFT dont seem to give a S@$t about it why should I?.

Sad but true.

Last edited by Robert G Mugabe; 31st Jul 2012 at 11:15.