PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbourne prematurely
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2012, 20:19
Ds3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edited to respond to SSD's edit.

So what you meant was 'feel', not 'hear'. Ears hear, hands feel

I still don't think you're particularly disagreeing with me anyway. I never said it wasn't done via feel, just that the Robin picks up at around 55kts, when you hit the bump we were discussing at around 45kts, which is invariably before the plane is ready to fly.

Suggesting I spend the whole take off run staring at the ASI is possibly a touch presumptive. I do everything you have described, but also take the odd, brief glance at the ASI to check where things are at. I find this useful in guaging how close the plane is to telling me when it's ready to fly and one of many factors used in decision making.

Obviously it's also dependant on your level of experience, no doubt if you have 100s of hours you can fly without the aid of any of the instruments if desired, however I think it would be naive to suggest to low hours pilots that they ignore things such as the ASI during take off, as yes they may yet not have built up a suitable level of experience to make judgment calls based solely on the varying feedback through the stick.

Last edited by Ds3; 30th Jul 2012 at 20:41.