PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbourne prematurely
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2012, 20:10
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure you what you mean about hearing through your hands though?
Precisely my point. Carry on driving!

Some aeroplanes are more 'talkative' than others. To get our Chipmunk off a short muddy field I'd hoink it into the air at the earliest possible point, way before it's ready to fly away, way on the back of the drag curve. Holdng the aeroplane level just above the surface one can 'feel' the CP creeping forward as the speed builds until the aeroplane says "OK, I'm good to go now. You can climb away". And I do.

At no point do I look at the ASI (except to check it's 'alive' and working). It's all done through feel. My eyes are outside assessing runway remaining before the hedge, and the rate we're using it up. I have a 'descison point' on the ground by which I'll abort if the aeroplane hasn't told me it's happy to climb away by then, and of course I'm watching that as well.

Pilot DAR describes a similar technique any C172 pilot will recognise in getting out of short fields.

Your method of waitng for a certain speed to appear then 'rotating' is crude and does not eek the best performance out of the aeroplane. It's OK for long tarmac runways where you don't need to get the aeroplane out of the mud ASAP, and where runway length isn't limiting.

Otherwise; for max T/O performance fly the wing, not the ASI. The aeroplane will tell you, through the stick, what the wing is doing. If you are sensitive enough to hear it.

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 30th Jul 2012 at 20:26.