PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salary incentivised safety ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2012, 16:53
Miles Gustaph

Location: Behind a dusty desk, and in some really hot, dusty, wet and cold places subject to who is paying the bill. But mostly Gods own land.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are positives andnegatives to this proposal; the negative is simply that incentivising safety may be a conflict of interest with some of the fundamental concepts of safety management, there are however positives.

Many aviation business’s incentivise their senior management with safety metrics, the argument for incentivising safety professionals is that without incentivising them the independence of the safety professional means that they have little or no vested interest inthe safety performance of the organisation, thus by incentivising them there isa reason for them to actively participate just that little bit more.

I have heard of some ratherodd metrics for safety and some goodones, common metrics are audit close out speed, overdue audit findings,findings open more than a certain period, the number of aircraft accidents byseverity level, the number of safety meetings / toolbox talks attended, sitevisits etc…

The rights and wrongs ofthe system are entirely down to the individual organisation and both approaches have merit.

If you can find someone from the oil & gas end of the industry they will be able to give you far more information on this, PM me and I'll point you in the direction of somone who may be able to give you more information.

Miles