PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin crew to Pilot? Will it work?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2012, 15:31
EGGD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Michael,

It is very prudent of you to start thinking about your options at this stage. I too worked as Cabin Crew before 'upgrading' to the Flight Deck. I could not tell you whether the salary is sufficient to fund your training but it certainly wasn't bad, take home pay was up to £1700 a month on the lowest salary scale point for a charter airline. The only negatives are that you may not get a permanent contract or only offered part year working which may work to your advantage when it comes to fitting in your training.

The advantages of the job is that you will learn lots of practical skills that you wouldn't gain from burying your head in books, they are a lot more valuable when things start to go wrong on a bad day! Cabin Crew are the only employees who are regularly able to visit the flight deck when the aircraft is in flight, which will give you plenty of scope to learn about the working environment and understand what the job requires. There almost undoubtedly be chances to observe Departures/Arrivals sitting in the flight deck on position flights (flights without passengers). There are also opportunities to 'jump seat' on your days off and gain valuable advice from your flight crew. They will offer you plenty of support and depending on the size of the base you are at you will get to know people well and vice versa. When it comes down to it your actual flying skills and technical knowledge don't count for a lot when it actually comes to getting your foot in the door, your face has to fit and you get the best opportunity to prove that in the job.

You may also get access to certain websites and material handed to you from Flight Crew that will have information on the job, Company operating procedures etc that will be valuable to you. Most aircraft have training materials (either manufacturer published or created by third parties) that describe aircraft systems and design that can be useful in reinforcing the knowledge you will learn during your ATPL theory exams.

Other aviation related jobs have their own advantages but nowhere else will you get as 'involved' in the operation of an airliner and appreciate the bigger picture, and in a relatively short amount of time. From application if you have the right skills (sales/hospitality experience is necessary, oh and common sense) you can be on an aeroplane in 2 months and from the start of your training you will be learning valuable information and skills.

I did some training at Aero's and I know that you impress them as well, they will help you. They have links with Flybe (I don't know how deep these links lie, but they are there) and it can't hurt your chances. Just show people your enthusiasm without being obtrusive, get to know people and be thorough and positive in your training. Opportunities will arise if you tick the right boxes.

You're asking the right questions so you have got a good grasp on the situation, good luck!

Last edited by EGGD; 30th Jul 2012 at 15:40.