PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAINT SCHEME DHC-1 CHIPMUNK
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2012, 23:26
Dora-9

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Lee Howard:

I think I'd be saying that Signal Red was close to BS381C-537. See my earlier comments about WG478 arriving with four distinct shades of red (mind you there were almost certainly four different aircraft present in my "box of bits") and also Dan Winterland's remarks about aircraft arriving back from repainting in a lighter/brighter shade of red. When WK550 arrived in this country the red was rather more orange yet darker than the red on either WK507 or WG478 (all then in original RAF paintwork).

But fluorescent markings were more associated with the earlier Light Aircraft Grey overall scheme than the later red/white/grey scheme.
Hmm, again at the risk of being pedantic, the R/W/G scheme removed the need for DayGlo markings; I'm not aware of any Chipmunk in the R/W/G scheme sporting DayGlo (althjough as always I'm happy to be corrected). Also, many aircraft with the DayGlo strips were still in the earlier overall silver scheme; it didn't just apply to the Light Grey finish. I'd argue that in the earlier photo of WZ877 the finish is silver (look carefully around the nose cowl).