PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Borneo Whirlwind veterans here?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2012, 10:09
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Tiger Mate,

I think so. The photograph I have seen of XJ432 has no visible code but these things are transitory and a code could have been added at any time.

One of the difficulties is that at its height, there were four Whirlwind squadrons operating in Borneo, of which two rotated aircraft and crews through Singapore and two were supported through both Singapore and UK and the crews were on twelve month tours.

Losses were blessedly few and rare but the maintenance cycle did involve aircraft being shifted around, as did the hours 'equalisation' requirements.

If the base selected is to be described as: Nanga Gaat, it is important to establish when the RAF was the dominant user of the base and then it helps identify which aircraft can plausibly be considered as operating from there. The issue is that IIRC, by the time the RAF was 'in charge' all the aircraft had the sand filter fitted!! Perhaps a bit of 'artist's licence' is in order here!!

Quite honestly, however, I don't think you'll find too much nitt picking from most of us.

Old Duffer