PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2012, 07:40
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PH-NZD

Built in 1971 PH-NZD was an 'N' model S61 which spent the bulk of her operational life flying with KLM. She also served on contract with Irish Helicopters where she flew as EI-CTK before retiring to the US where she has flown variously as N445HD and N489WC.

Word on the web is that this craft was rehashed into a 'T' model for export to Afghanistan.

S61N PH-NZD at Amsterdam's Schipol Airport in the mid-70's (Photo: Roel Bekkering)

Also in the frame are PH-NZF (running) and PH-NZA. In this shot NZD wears a Coat of Arms below the cockpit side window but, as yet , I have been unable to verify the identity of the arms.

S61N PH-NZD at Cologne's Bonn Konrad Adenauer Airport in September 1973 (Photo: Günter Grondstein)

NZD is seen here preparing to hook-up to a 'body-less' Transit van during a promotional operation for Ford Motors.

There is a further (more recent) shot of NZD taken when she was in the UK in 1997 and for which we are awaiting permission.

One of the things I like about both these photos is that they capture something of the involvement of ground crews and so perhaps this post can be dedicated to their often unsung efforts. On this note I do have another shot of G-ASNL (see above posts) with some great ground crew interaction (coming soon).

As always - with thanks to our contributing photographers who are always mailed a link to the Nostalgia Thread when their images are posted.