PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2012, 05:27
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Vale Thomas Joseph Leahy

I lost a mate of forty years early this morning.

Tom Leahy passed away in St Andrews Hospital at Toowoomba. Tom was 83 years old.

Tom Leahy and brother Dan Leahy went to PNG to work for their Uncle Mick at Zenag in 1949. Over the years Tom was a gold miner, Markham farmer, Lae town Councillor and politician, being elected to the first House of Assembly and rising to Chairman of the Executive Council in the second House of Assembly.

In PNG, Tom was a Director of Territory Airlines and Talair, becoming rather unwittingly, a guarantor for the first Bandeirante purchases.

Tom returned to Australia in the late 1970s, setting on "Corowa", a cattle property just outside Dalby in Queensland. Tom was elected to and served as a Councillor on Wambo Council until Wambo merged with Dalby a few years ago. Sadly Tom's wife Pam passed away perhaps five years ago after a long fight with cancer.

When I formed Flight West Airlines in 1987, Tom Leahy was a Director along with Chairman Bob Paul, Dennis Buchanan and Dennis's older brother David Leahy.

Tom wrote four books about his life and those early days in Papua New Guinea.

A great, humble man and a real life long mate passed away this morning. I will miss him terribly.

Last edited by Torres; 29th Jul 2012 at 05:27.