PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferry Flights(merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2003, 13:33
spittingimage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This subject keeps coming up. Here we go again :

1. if you wish to charge anything for your pilot services then you need a relevant CPL. Any other arrangement is dodgy and probably illegal. More specifically, therefore, for the scenario you outline, a USA FAA CPL would be required and I would strongly recommend an I/R also (half-way across the Atlantic is not a good place to discover you are not really up to it on instruments, either on the planning or execution front).

2. there are some full-time ferry pilots (I am not one) but there is, alas, the credibility gap to face of that without lots of experience, you are unlikely to attract business and vice versa. Well, you would not get my business anyway.

You will almost certainly find insurance a problem too. No previous (Atlantic) experience, no insurance. No insurance, illegal flight. I cannot recommend transatlantic ferrying (which I have done) as entry level flying work.

Try phoning some of the ferry and aviation insurance companies - seach the internet - and they will almost certainly confirm the above; with bells on !

Sorry to raise unpalatable problems rather than provide sweet solutions. That said, however, if you really, really want it enough you will probably succeed ...... eventually.