PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Damn ! Another PFO... Confidence = nill........
Old 16th Aug 2001, 12:32
The mole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give up if you are not mentally strong enough for the setbacks you will inevitably have along the way. I started flying 9 years ago and I have been instructing full time for 5 months. I am finally in a holding pool for a midlands-based airline, so hopefully my hardest days are behind me. If I knew it would take nearly ten years to become a junior pilot at a medium-sized airline I don't think I would have bothered at the time. I have kept going because it is what I want to do and I am going to prove every ****er wrong. I am listing a few of my highs and lows, so you understand that any advice I can give comes from experience and is not of the 'just keep at it - you'll captain concorde one day' type.
1991 Passed the BA aptitude tests - all courses cancelled due Gulf War
1995 Passed the BA tests & interviews
1998 Failed BA jet conversion course - booted out
2001 First flying job - instructing

To pass the aptitudes, I made sure I was good at what was required. There are books of tests (maths, IQ, english) out there - buy them and practise. Practise hand/eye coordination on a pc flight program.

Get interested in flying, and be believable - subscribe to magazines, go to air shows, hang out at your local flying school

If you are failing in interviews, get books on interview technique. If necessary apply for a job or two just to get interview practice. Ask for feedback from failed flying interviews.

Work in the industry. At anything. Sweep the floors at Gatwick if you have to . You will meet people who are sympathetic. Prior to my interview for my 'midlands-based' airline, I spoke to someone I had met twice in 1992 making tea in my local flying school, and he is now a training captain there. Get a job at BA if you really want one of their sponsorships. They recruit internally for it - usually two people annually. You will have less competition

Finally, save your money. Do not do an hour a month. Save for six months and go to Florida and get half your PPL done at once.

One more thing - GOOD LUCK