PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blocked Eustachian Tube
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2012, 23:16
ChipMBW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found My Solution:

To start I am not a pilot or a Doctor. I am actually a pro Audio Engineer, my main gig is mixing the news, along with recording and mixing records for all kinds of music artists. So Obviously, my ears are directly related to my well-being and career. So when during the middle of my return flight to Miami, the pilot did some manuver that must have gained and lost quite a bit of altitude (like i said I'm no pilot) and my ears popped and clogged up I got extremely uncomfortable. Right then I couldn't hear anything from my left ear, and barely anything from my right. My girlfriend would have to talk in my ear (like at a concert) for me to understand. Then a few minutes into it, it became very painful, like a 6.5 out of 10.

Luckily for me, we were only another 30 minutes out from our destination. Upon descent my hearing did not improve at all. Only once I was on the ground and performing light Valsalva manuver did my right ear pop open. BUT my left ear would not budge, not even a little bit. Naturally I got very worried and started my google doctor routine, which lead me here.

48 hours later I am very, very pleased to report I was able to work out the blockage without any trips to an ENT doc.

During my trip I got Bronchitis, and when i got on my return flight it was at it's end but definitely not gone. I am sure that my bronchitis exacerbated the effects of the quick pressure chages onboard the plane.
I was chewing gum virtually the entire flight, I did not know however, that It could be so extreme as to block my ET's and subsequently ruin my hearing.

There is a wealth of good advice on here which I followed. Heres what worked for me.

Drinking LOTS of water (5-7 full cups)
Heavy doseage of Nasal Steroids, (I had flonase from my prior upper respitory problems)
Doseage of Nasal Decongestants
followed by an extremely hot shower (including inhaling steam vapor)
followed by running (Yes. running) around my block twice.

At this point I sat down (ear still totally clogged) and started drinking more water. I heard the tell-tale pops of the pressure finally starting to sink away. I got freaking estatic, and tried to finish the cup of water but to no avail, it did not equalize. However I knew I was on the right path.

I literally repeated the entire process.

It didnt clear up then either. I continued reading this forum and eventually read about the different types of valsalva manuevers so to speak. The one where you hold your nose but just swallow worked really well, as well as the voluntary opening one. But they would only work intermittently and wouldn't actually open my ET but I could feel them working.

Then I took one last hot shower before heading into the tv station, held my head at some awkward left up position and did the valsalva manuver, and bam. Pop crackle pop, a little bit of pain and all of a sudden my hearing was back to atleast 95%

One note, the entire time during my process I would breathe heavily through the nose and out the mouth, aiding in draining the ET's the way they are naturally supposed to be drained.

I also believe that keeping my body hot, and running in 98 degree heat, aided in the process.

For those of you who have had this for years, If you havent tried vigorous cardio-oriented excercise then you may have been tricked by our own lifesytles.

I, much like a pilot, have a sedentary job. I haven't ran around my block in YEARS. Your ears may be just one small part of your body, but your overall health can DEFINITELY affect your ears. Thats why avoiding all these foods and smoking and drinking is definitely good advice.

I'm writing this post because reading your stories of having blockage that lasts years or more was extremely upsetting as that would mean essentially leaving behind what gives my life meaning.

So there is hope, but don't look at your doctor like he is supposed to have that one magic bullet that is just going to make you right, It doesnt exist. If we were all healthy like we are supposed to be we probably wouldn't have gotten into this situation in the first place.

But for those that do have a deeper issue that clearing your ETs either cannot be done, or has no affect. I wish you the best of luck and toughness when it comes to dealing with the effects.

Hope something here clicks.
Thanks