PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 6th Jan 2003, 07:59
2Donkeys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WCollins

I think you may be hoping/expecting for too much precision here. The differential in engine-out peformance between the critical and non-critical engine will vary significantly between types.

Less seriously, and in many ways more interestingly though, I do note a slight difference of view on the engine-out performance of an Aztec.

In December you said

I went out practicing for my IR/MEP renewal last year in my Aztec E and took four large friends with me. At least three of the five of us were rugby player types, two others were smaller, but adult. We had full tanks, but no baggage. I calculated the weight as being about 140lbs under MTOW.

On a moderately cold day (ISA -5) and everything handled according to the book we climbed at 800fpm from 250ft after a simulated EFATO.

We executed two go-arounds from 250ft and climbed perfectly well. By the time I had burned an hour's fuel and honed my technique, we were closer to 900fpm.
Rustle tells us that in a very similar aircraft 1200 fpm was achieved with both engines with a considerably lighter loading. With that same loading, he was only able to achieve 600 fpm after EFATO on a very cold day.

Do you think that it is simply a question of rustle's technique needing to be brushed up, or is it down to the clapped out aircraft he was flying in?