PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education Fatigue?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2003, 18:39
P T Flea

FREDA,

I have only just graduated from Uni this June. I was in exactly the same boat as you: UTTERLY BORED with my course and at my wits end. I was at Southampton doing Aerospace Engineering. It was tough going to say the least. There was a number of times when I would sit down and think 'what exactly am I doing? I hate this course, I don't even want to be an engineer, I just want to fly planes.'

I stuck it out though and lived to tell the tale. Now with letters after my name and my graduation photo taking pride of place in the sitting room I am glad I stuck with it. I feel so much more confident sending off application forms with a professional qualification and especially in the subject I chose (i.e something rooted in maths/physics).

I know that there's not much that can boost confidence when you're in a situation such as yours, as you are the one with the problem and no matter what anyone says you are still faced with the task of completing your degree. All I can say is that it will be over sooner that you think. Stick with it in the frame of mind 'This will look excellent on my application forms to airlines'.

Picture my situation: My mate, also on my course, was in our house (of 4) and we were in our second year. He decides to apply to BA. Spends his time doing the application form and gets through the selection process and offered a place in Jerez. Not sure whether it was the right choice he ******s off. I am now left on a course that I don't really like, my mate's disappeared and worst of all disappeared to be a pilot. 9/11 happens. BA stop recruiting, but he's in Jerez doing the training. I complete my degree, he completes his training. Who's worse off? I don't know. Things are starting to pick up again now. I completed my PPL this summer which has really boosted my enthusiasm and commitment. It's a little ironic because for me to get sponsored in this current climate I probably need a good degree. So in a way, presuming I get hired soonish, I've just gone a longer way round things. If I lost a leg tommorow in a car accident I could got and get a good job with Airbus or BAE Systems. Could my friend? Who's to say. I just feeler more confident of overall success with a degree tucked under my belt.

Thanks for reading,

PT