PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic Union Flag raising - RAF out of step
Old 28th Jul 2012, 15:52
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am overseas and with work and time zones I haven't seen the opening ceremony and besides it's not my thing, I like the sports.

However, I accept the opening ceremony is important and will, in no small part, define these Olympics. Given we live in the world of the short soundbite, I think it's important to have imbedded in and around your show, eye-catching events that News Editors can use for a 30-60 second feature in their programs. If I was doing the show, here's what I would do;

1. Start the show at an odd time. Don't go for 8 or 9pm, that's boring. I would start at 12 minutes past 8, which all smart people know to be 2012. That would be quirky and very British.

2. I would start with something spectacular, but clearly Olympic and British. How about a 9-ship fast-jet fly past with red, white and blue smoke, but jazz it up a bit by making them turn across the London Skyline with a golden sky behind. Not sure how you do it, but it would be spectacular.

3. Then as night falls, I would get the flame to go down the Thames for all the world to see; no restrictions on TV rights. I would jazz that up too. I would get a speedboat, with neon lights, and get some burd with long blonde hair to hold the flame and have someone like David Beckham drive the boat. As the boat goes past a recognizable London landmark, say Tower Bridge, i would get a whole bunch of fireworks to go off. That should look pretty good and Beijing or Rio can't do that.

4. Then to top it off, I would throw the Queen out of a helicopter.

Now, if you were to do all that, you would dominate the News Channels and have the World's attention.

What?