PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2012, 05:20
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerg
Like some "standby instruments" it seems that the AB is lacking.
The Airbus does have standby instruments in the form of ISIS - in fact the Captain refers to them on the CVR.

Originally Posted by Lyman
What we have is no proof of what pilots were seeing on the panel.
Actually we have precise proof of what the PNF in the LHS saw on his panel.

I have seen. "What the ECAM would have looked like...." but we do have proof from the CVR: "we have no indications..."
There's a lot of room for interpretation in the latter statement - at no point does the PF or PNF clarify - but the Captain does make a reference to all three ADIs (l'horizon) functioning. This pours a lot of cold water on the idea that all MFDs may have been blank.

Way back, because the displays are not saved on DFDR
The LHS DFDR *is* recorded.

Other Airbus wide bodies have had incidents of loss of displays with loss of speeds.
Not this Airbus widebody.

Why did Dubois not intervene?
This is not the only occasion where a pilot who had a better handle on the situation did not intervene - I'd bet money on it being purely HF.

With even a minimum of trust in these three guys, one has got to allow for some mitigating evidence that actually is available, but disregarded?

" I have no vario..." " I don't even have vario?"
Equally possible that the VSI (vario) was pegged against the bottom and was difficult to read due to vibration.

Further, it explains the lack of comment, with black screens, what's to discuss?
Were it not for the fact that the DFDR does record the displays on the LHS, you might have a point. Instead all I see is another attempt to make excuses.

What could Dubois have been after, "Wait, Autopilot ! ....click....."

I've heard the standard reply, what else could he be wanting from auto?
Given that AP was OFF when he said it, and still off after the button was recorded onto the CVR, I'd say that's a red herring - he was probably just making 100% sure it was OFF.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 28th Jul 2012 at 06:07.