PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTAF - yet more changes.
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2012, 01:49
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this discussion is mixing up good airmanship with regulation. I fly an antique aeroplane with a cruise below 60 kts and a complex twin with a cruise above 200 kts. You can't have a regulation that is appropriate for both. The bit the bridges the two is airmanship. The problem is that CASA no longer understands what it is and I'm not sure that our flying schools teach it. Regardless of the rules, if I'm on descent to a CTAF from flight levels, doing 200 kts, the radio calls start 30nm out and a listening watch on traffic at probably 60nm - and the calls will be giving a circuit area time estimate not a distance. 180 kts (for easy math) is 3nm a minute. 30 nm takes 10 minutes - about the time it takes a flying school single to do a circuit. On the basis that many guys only seem to listen to about 1 radio call in 2 (maybe 1 in 3?), you need to get out about 3 calls before joining the circuit. Try this approach in a Cessna 150 and between making a 30nm call and joining the circuit and either everyone forgot the first call of the guys in the circuit have all landed and there's a new crop of aircraft in the circuit. A simple 3nm call is adequate in this circumstance.

CASA has accident data going back 80 - 90 years. We didn't need this level of detail in the regulations 40 years ago when I started flying (an we had twice the air traffic). Why do we need it now?