PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A simple printer
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2012, 20:30
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad to see Misco are still going. I must have been one of their first retailing customers.

I'm on Win 7 professional on the PCs and Vista on my laptop. (I know)

I'll look into the driver and bi -directional issues when I get a new lead - or abandon what was a fine old printer.

The thing is, is it advisable to keep an old HP Laserjet 4? Do they have an industrial strength that the new ones simply don't have?

It was given to me like new, but lately it's been greying the paper, so probably time to give up on it. Funnily, it was okay for a day after reloading paper, but is now not good again. I don't need anymore repair projects!

The laser was primarily for the book, and may well have to churn out 2,000 B & W pages in a day depending on the invitations to submit. More folk are accepting software now, so it may all become academic.

It seems I should perhaps abandon having two printers and have one colour unit, though I've heard bad things about the cost of toners. Can I bash out 2,000 pages at reasonable cost on cheap laser units?

What I didn't say is I'd accept a non scanner replacement for my Epson CX6600 - but it seems inkjet problems are to this day, tedious. When they go, they're good - and so instant. But I've had enough of heads drying out when I go away.

Is there a straightforward inkjet solution with medium colour quality that stand out above the rest - or has laser really taken over? If there were, I'd run a B&W laser as well.

So much design work has gone into the Epson and the first Kodak, but the little black replacement goes to show just how low they could sink.

Three of the five I've scrapped. With my son, we've scrapped eight or nine - mostly due to gummed up heads, and he uses his every day.

All going out on Craigslist Free Stuff.

Edit to show picture - nothing else - just the darn picture. I hate that edit thing

Last edited by Loose rivets; 27th Jul 2012 at 20:38.