PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2012, 16:28
roulishollandais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop Banksters, Gangsters, Beancounters, SLF, Certification and Stability

Originally Posted by John_Tullamarine
Franzl,
The general dumbing down of things piloting is an extreme worry to most of us. If the systems design folks could guarantee that they get it all correct (which, of course, they can't .. and don't) it might be a different matter .. but, until they can, the folks up front are the last ditch defence and if they don't know much beyond "light A ON .. button B PRESS" we are better off going fishing.
The beancounting fraternity has a lot to answer for I suggest.
[Thanks for the PM offer]
Originally Posted by PJ2#651
Originally Posted by roulishollandais
It is fashionable to analyze aviation and all events in the light of the economy. It needs to be tried, but this seems to me erroneous
Clearly my post is not entirely a Tech topic so I won't pursue it ot her than in the context of the original post. Thanks for your response though.
Yes they are also many passionate and honnest people in aviation !
But when economy gets a condition for air safety, design, training, and for certification, we cannot put it in Rumour and News !

I am with John_Tullamarine : the definitions of stability are ICAO definitions ! specially when Test Pilots have to improve the aircraft so see very precisely if these definitions comply with the qualities of the aircraft.

In another post I already said that automation is a new science where 'Positive Law' has still to be said. And certifications of FBW show that engineers and pilots are not always the best to know the non-written law ! Some do the best they can risking their lifes, and other are... angels ?
That worries me really since I listened from the first certifier from the A320, as I asked her which documents she could use to certify it, that she asked for more papers... but had some pressures to sign without these documents, to certify an undescribed perhaps unknown domain of flight...

We could hope that AF447 report would clearly describe as a minimum the different "myriad" flight laws of this aircraft : but it seems that BEA could not do the best to clarify that lack ! One result is that we cannot have a consensus for a scientific and clear definition of "stability" .