PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once a pilot - now a computer's sidekick
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2012, 16:08
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
So much contempt in those words... Listen young man, you can have quite proficient pilots with brown or yellow skins, but that engrained feeling of superiority is so common in your beer "culture"... And by the way, tell the americans about the "non western" Vietnamese fighter pilots in the 60s ...
Reinhardt

This is an interesting and important thread that highlights industry deficiencies. Your first post was absurd in content and you've followed up with consistency and the introduction of personal abuse.

I'm happy to take this offline and spare others the slanging match but first.....

Major Holland killed his B52 crew in sadly spectacular fashion. His hazardous attitude has a similarity to yours in your opening post. Where you seem to think that because you have barrel rolled a probably non-aerobatic certified transport aircraft, the solution to the airline industry of diminishing hand flying skills, would be to just unashamedly recruit more military pilots.

I stand by my comments.The last thing the industry needs is to recruit Maj Bob Hollands types.

When you opened up with listen young man I thought what an idiot. You then displayed a poor understanding of the argument by playing the race card where it had no reason to be played. There is a significant ideological difference between the training of the Western and non-Western fighter pilots that seems to have manifested itself in difficulty transitioning to an airline environment. Indeed, in the seventies, some Warsaw Pact countries had expensive, government funded civilian flying academies to address safety problems associated with using ex-mil crews in their state owned airlines.

The Vietnamese air force analogy was a poor one. Yes, a small number were successful against Americans who were severely restricted by their ROE. Vietnamese ( possibly Russian and North Korean ) pilots used guerilla warfare hit and run tactics that initially worked against Washington controlled fighter bomber formations. If the Americans were permitted to bomb the radar stations and command and control facilities that so successfully positioned Migs into advantageous positions, their initial successes may not have occurred.

I digress. Quite simply, most pilots from a non-Western background in military aircraft are start again candidates. Their training and culture are vastly different to what transitions comfortably to an airline cockpit.

You move on and have a crack at others who argue the handling differences between a fighter and an airliner. This needn't worry you because you tell us you flew Jaguars in the desert and at "high altitude"; I can tell you it worried Airbus and Boeing enough in their mid 90's push to have airlines introduce upset training, where they were concerned not only with poor civilian experience levels in aerobatics or extreme attitudes, but also with ex- military crews who may use inappropriate recovery techniques with airliners.

If you want to abuse me because of my culture I would be thrilled to continue this offline via PM- especially as you seem to be French and my grandfathers fought your wars for you cleaning up your collaborators in the Middle East.

Or, we can continue here and add to the debate on an important air safety issue.

Last edited by Gnadenburg; 27th Jul 2012 at 16:11.