PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was it really fright(e)ning?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2012, 16:00
ARXW

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
noprobs,
I started turning hard after the first pass, and quickly suckered him into a low speed fight that soon led to a level scissors in which I was getting the better position. On the next cross, I saw him apparently doing the sensible thing, getting ready to bug out as his nose sliced down away from me. However, as I reversed, I saw his nose continuing to move in the same yawing motion, as he entered a spin. We still had plenty of height, he had a recoverable aircraft, and I had a jet in which I could change the thrust vector. So I moved the nozzles to the braking stop, pointed vertically down, and did my best to get the pipper on the rotating cockpit for the film.
Whoever said that speed is life! Here's a story confirming the usefulness of VIFFing! This decription reminded of a story by a naval ace who said that the Harrier force always kept the advantage in exchanges with the Lightning force although of course the higher exchange ratio dropped as they moved from the unknown 1v1 phase to the "have seen what you can do" 1v1 phase through to many vs many sorties.

Thought the burnerless Lighntning even simulated the Argie Mirage 3 for the RAF Harrier force when they were practising at being interceptors in order to bolster task force interceptor numbers down south in '82. Having said that, reheat or not I bet the latter Mirage F1 was a handful in ACT.

Last edited by ARXW; 27th Jul 2012 at 16:01.