PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Boats to East Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2012, 12:40
gruntie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is from Peter Davis' book "East African: An Airline Story". No idea of the copyright situation, no offence intended etc.

I think the flying-boat service actually operated from the Lake Naivasha Hotel. If so, then from the jetty in the foreground: also if so, then I walked along it in the early 90s, although in a much more tumbledown state (both me and the jetty). Probably many years earlier too, but memory fails me.

There was also a prog on the telly sometime in the 70s/80s about a team who re-created the flying-boat service with a Catalina. When they landed on the Nile at Khartoum an elderly local got all excited and dragged out a black snake from a tumbledown and abandoned shed. Upon examination however the snake was a rubber hose, part of the old Imperial Airways refuelling equipment, all forgotten about and lying there untouched ever since. Nothing special about Naivasha, unfortunately.

Meanwhile, Delamere Avenue really takes me back. I used to live there, but it hasn't been called that for many years now. I could carry on but I'd probably start mumbling.........