PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAFPS 2015
Thread: FAFPS 2015
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2012, 11:44
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alfred,

Thanks for adding value to the discussion, and this is what many of those reviewing a career in the Air Force were expecting.

You are either 'home and dry' regarding the 10 year rule, bitter and twisted because you wish you had gone career or PAS, but made the wrong decision, or just have little or no empathy with those that actually enjoy today's Air Force, but are concerned that the maths will not add up (where only a year ago it did). Or you have been promoted (early) and therefore sit comfortably anyway

Doesn't the future safety and Operational Capability of tomorrow's RAF concern you? I will be long gone (and I sense so will you?) , but I do care in ensuring that those under my command have the best advice on which to inform their decisions, and hopefully concurrently preventing the experience from haemorrhaging into the private sector.

If this is the master plan to further reduce aircrew numbers (because we missed a trick or it was too costly through redundancy) then it would be nice to know that this was Manning policy and that they had underwritten some of the inevitable risk in such a policy (rather than silently risky shift to future DDHs and OCs).

It will also prevent me from expending many hours with these people that really are concerned about their (financial) futures and in pursuing a career path where the detail of what they are committing to is not known, with what appears at best complicated wordage and at worst no empathy or understanding as to why this might be an issue (and I would suggest that your post falls into this category).

We had a system that works. PAS isn't for everyone (and lacked the job variation and career diversity for me), but it is essential to have those selected for this career path with the right qualifications and experience if we want to be able to operate safely and effectively, and bring on the newbies. If we reduce the incentive for PAS we will reduce the quality of candidates for selection and potentially lose significant amount of experience/qualifications that have taken whole careers to obtain quicker than you can say FAFPS in full or push (JPA button) here.

And Alfred, just so that there is absolutely no doubt I think you will find that the people that you are referring to (the talent and potential future of the Air Force) are already all having a poo, but will get off the pot when it suits them and in their own time frame.

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 27th Jul 2012 at 12:05.