PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Borneo Whirlwind veterans here?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2012, 05:40
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a bit further to my post 101 above.

It will be essential to ensure that the "provenance" of the serial number selected is established. For example the artist should ignore aircraft which only served at Tern Hill or which had been SAR aircraft solely. May I also suggest that we avoid XP327, lost in tragic circumstances by 225 Sqn, and XR477, likewise lost in Hong Kong but a Far East aircraft of some standing.

Referring to David's post above re the original Hong Kong aircraft, shipped to Kai Tak on HMS Triumph, I think the six were: XP301, XP332, XP340, XP363, XJ432 and XR477. XP301, broken up at Benson in the early 1970s, had been the SS11 trials aircraft and I have an A3 (approx) monochrome photo, framed on the wall of my hall, of her hovering at Odiham with four missiles on board. Can't remember what the weight of the wiring etc was but I don't remember it being taken out. Somewhere else there were some posts about Chunky Lord doing training on the missile in a hut at Kuching and also of live firing at some cave in the jungle. Perhaps it would be best not to mention the chap who returned with the missile's guidance wire strung all over his aircraft!!!

Old Duffer