PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Be careful when fishing. This one has a big bite.
Old 26th Jul 2012, 23:50
BeCareful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H2:

Do you have something personal against the Emiratis, the Indians or anybody else? If not then why the insults and the stereo-typing? In case it is really possible for you to generalize about large population sets, then maybe you are on the cusp of a break-through in the field of cultural anthropology. Congratulations!!!
Not a thing, and I'm not insulting them either... I just call spade a spade. Once you come to understand the mentality here in the region and accept the fact that this is simply how they are, you adjust your expectations and go from there.

So just because there was an attack on a US vessel, innocent people are to be killed on mere suspicion to prevent a recurrence?
How do you prove someone is innocent if they're ignoring warnings, they're charging full speed at you, and you have 2 minutes to prove them innocent? 2 words my man - USS Cole. May it never happen again...

I hope that sailor that opened fire gets a medal and a pat on the back. Yes, he's gonna feel like sh*t for gunning down a NOW-PROVEN innocent, but at that point, how could he have known? He's done his job. Or wait... are you saying that suicide bombings never occur in these parts of the world or that the pattern exhibited by that boat didn't resemble that of a suicide bomber?

To put it in context, how many times have you had some maniac on SZR approach you within inches of your bumper flashing lights at you while you're driving 120-130 or even 140. See, that's the same mentality that ended up catching the receiving end of a .50 cal.

But just curious, why don't you tell me how you would have handled this if no matter what you tried to do, you're getting no response... how could you have gotten a guarantee that this boat wouldn't go BANGGG once alongside the Rappahannock?

Because then UAE would be added to the list of the "Axis of Evil" and the arm twisting would start.
Are you serious?!? Axis of Evil?!?! How many times you got dropped on your head as a baby?!

Oh, and I love your conclusion about 'glorification of death.' It's a matter of perspective really... whose death? I don't want to see a single American die just to be politically correct in his/her actions. We lost plenty of young men and women to politically correct actions... it's tough luck that thanks to those who indeed glorify death i.e. suicide bombers and terrorists an innocent person was killed. But let's face the reality - stupidity kills. Stupidity has always killed and always will kill. I just hope there are lessons learned here.