PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once a pilot - now a computer's sidekick
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 20:21
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JB

I preferred the post from the ex-mil gent who pointed the obvious - even the most skilled ex-fast jet jockey will lose a lot (if not most) of his handling skills if he doesn't practise them regularly.

Wasn't that what this thread was about...?
Yes indeed; have often quoted my old favorite-"the older I get, the better I was".

Have also argued many times on this forum, that manual flying todays airliners in the current RVSM/RNP/RNAV crowded airspace is not really a good idea, not to mention the fact that these machines are not designed to be flown manually the way that we used to know; there is too much FMS/MCP manipulation needed by someone or other, coupled with ATC RT and/or config changes by PM/(PNF) to make it an effective cross-monitoring operation, which is why both Mr Boeing and Mr Airbus want you to make full use of automation for a safe operation and also a smooth ride for the punters down the back.

I have also argued many times that we should be protecting our flying skills by doing more raw data exercises in the sim, rather than wasting time on these "politically correct" LOFT scenarios. Why would I want to spend one hour of LPC time doing low vis taxi at AMS and full deicing procedures before take-off?!. Then they try to cram so many scenarios in (at strange, complicated airfields) that you come out wondering what on earth you learned here; no time to review fine details and most obscure but potentially important points forgotten as soon as you walk out the door with a successful pass and a good "score".

It's called "Information Overload". However, thankfully the trend seems to be going away from this particular mindset, with a new breed in training, although still a way to go.If they want to check my knowledge of automation systems, then incorporate some Fixed Base training time, and leave the full flight sim for something more useful.

I know all these points have been covered ad infinitum by previous contributors on this and other threads, but I have to ask myself-why do we forever keep on reinventing the old wheel?

Another favorite quote (Samuel Johnston?)- "Man has oft more need to be reminded than informed", and I've lost count of how many times I've posted that hoary old one on this forum Without any doubt, we'll all be repeating ourselves a hundred or more posts down the line....